(This measure has not been amended since it was reported to the House on July 17, 2017. The summary of that version is repeated here.)
(Sec. 1) This joint resolution grants congressional consent and approval for the Commonwealth of Virginia, the state of Maryland, and the District of Columbia to enter into a Metrorail Safety Commission (MSC) Interstate Compact.
The MSC Compact establishes a Washington Metrorail Safety Commission for the safety oversight of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Rail (Metrorail) system.
The commission shall:
- distribute a written State Safety Oversight Program;
- enforce implementation of WMATA's Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan, as well as audit triennially WMATA's compliance with such plan;
- enforce implementation of any Corrective Action Plans;
- enforce relevant federal and state laws and regulations relating to Metrorail safety;
- publish annually a Metrorail safety report, including updates of Corrective Action Plans, Commission directives, and on-going investigations; and
- publish annually a report on commission operations.
An independent annual audit shall be made of commission financial accounts.
Any signatory may withdraw from the MSC Compact, which shall constitute its termination.
Policy Area Transportation and Public Works
- district of columbia
- intergovernmental relations
- public transit
- regional and metropolitan planning
- state and local government operations
- transportation safety and security